Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Thomas McGath — Get Out While You Can: Why Young Americans Should Consider Moving Abroad

The 20-somethings of my generation have been marginalized by the economic situation in America. We've had a tricky time finding a place in the economy and many of us have become burdens on our families, through student loans and living costs. Now, how do we fix that?
Emigrate, if you can afford it. Millennials have a ton of education and no use for it. There are many other countries that represent a great opportunity for millennials looking to enter into an increasingly globalized work market. I'm not saying we should try to be members of an elite in other countries -- we should reject our shackles and become more worldly.

Part of that is learning a second or third language, something I thought I never would do. This changed after my time abroad in Ireland while studying at University College Dublin. I decided I was going to learn German, even though it was not the most useful of languages. Four years later, after teaching myself German from scratch, I have an operating fluency in German and now live in Berlin, where I'm working towards my master's degree. The tuition costs a fraction of what it would in America. Despite being an foreigner, I have access to public health insurance available for students at only 60 Euros a month.

How did I get here? It started with the betrayal and selling-out of our generation.…
AlterNet
Get Out While You Can: Why Young Americans Should Consider Moving Abroad
Thomas McGath

No comments: